- large zucchinis (also called baby marrow) 3
- Eggs 4 • 130 kcal
- Grated cheese 1 1/3 cups
- Vegetable Oil 3 tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste • 1 kcal
You won’t believe that this recipe is made with only four simple ingredients and some seasoning. With only zucchini, cheese, eggs and oil, you can whip up this quick Zucchini Casserole. If you have vegetarian friends and want to impress them with a simple, yet delicious dish, then this is definitely one for the books. It’s light and mild in flavor, but also creamy. Zucchini is an amazing vegetable—it’s affordable, versatile, and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It also contains fiber to help your digestive system. Make this Cheesy Zucchini Casserole as a main dish with a side salad, or serve it as a vegetable side dish.
Is Zucchini Casserole vegetarian?
Because this Cheesy Vegetarian Casserole contains no meat, it’s definitely vegetarian. But remember it’s not vegan, as it contains eggs. To make it vegan, you can add an egg replacement or simply leave them out.
Tips for the Best Zucchini Casserole
– Zucchini contains a lot of moisture, so it is possible that they can release a lot of liquid during the cooking process. To prevent this soggy mess, you can salt the zucchini pieces and leave them to drain in a colander lined with a kitchen towel. After 30 minutes, squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can.
– You can grate zucchini for this recipe, but honestly, who has the time for that? Chopping is much quicker and it ends up tasting the same!
– You can add a variety of cheese to this casserole. Use parmesan for a bit of flavor, or even smoked Gouda. You can also try Gruyere or aged cheddar. The casserole will turn brown and crispy on top.
– Feel free to add more seasoning to the dish. Minced garlic, dried basil or oregano (or both), and red pepper flakes are all good options. You can add more veggies to the zucchini, grape tomatoes match really well with this recipe.
How to store and freeze Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Because of the high water content of zucchinis, the Cheese Zucchini Casserole is not suitable for freezing. But it can be made ahead of time (up to 1 day ahead). Assemble the whole casserole, cover, and store in the refrigerator. Once you’re ready to bake the casserole, uncover it and continue with baking.
What to serve with Zucchini Casserole
How to make the Best Zucchini Casserole
Chop the zucchini into large slices.
Chop the zucchini rounds into smaller pieces.
Add the chopped zucchini to a large baking dish.
Add the oil.
Add the eggs to a small bowl, and whisk.
Add the whisked eggs to the zucchini and top with grated cheese.
Bake at 190°C/375° F for 35-40 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.