Mushrooms are fondly eaten by people all over the world. These are enjoyed as snacks, in soups, used in various main course preparations or side dishes. Apart from the lovely umami flavor, many people consume mushroom for the nutrients this fungus has to offer. Read on to know more about the nutritional benefits of eating mushrooms.
Well, the mushroom is technically a fungus that a few may find weird to taste. Yet, there are many who love mushrooms for the umami flavor it imparts to various preparations. There are many varieties of mushroom and all of them are loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals. Though a few varieties of mushroom are a bit pricey, a majority of these are comfortably priced and may be a healthy addition to your regular meal platter. Nevertheless, you will be pleased to know about the health benefits of consuming this fungus regularly.
- Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins such as niacin, riboflavin, folate, that have an important role to play in numerous bodily functions. However, some varieties of mushroom may have a higher content of certain B vitamins as compared to other varieties and thus it is advised that you must include all varieties of mushroom in your dietary regime.
- Mushrooms are surprisingly good plant based source of vitamin D. Many of us know that this nutrient is not found in plant based food sources very often and has an important role to play in our body by maintaining the immune system, bone health, and functioning of the nerve and muscles. Though the vitamin D content of mushroom is not much but a generous serving of mushrooms on a daily basis is a great way to meet the nutritional requirements of this nutrient on a vegetarian, egg free and a meat free diet.
- Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants that are required to counter the free radical present in our body, delay the effect of aging, and prevent serious health conditions. These are also rich in selenium that is required to maintain the health of the reproductive system, thyroid function, DNA formation, and protect against the free radical damage.
- Mushroom offers a delectable umami flavor to the food preparations in which it is added. This flavor, typical of mushroom, is increased upon cooking and goes well with a variety of preparations such as pasta dishes, salads, egg preparations, main dishes, savory oatmeal or enjoyed simply in the sautéed form.
- Mushrooms are quite low in calories and add bulk to the meal, keeping you full for a long time and thus can be eaten in plenty without guilt!