Homemade frosting always tastes better than anything you can pick up in stores. It only takes a few minutes to make and the results are out of this world. This easy maraschino cherry frosting is one of our favorites. This eye-catching bright pink buttercream frosting is amazing for decorating cakes, cupcakes, brownies, and other baked treats. Rich, creamy with an irresistible cherry flavor, maraschino cherry frosting is one simple recipe every home baker should have in their back pocket.
There isn't much to making cherry frosting. Grab your handheld mixer and cream the butter and sugar on low until it becomes completely smooth. This should only take a few minutes. Once you've combined the butter and sugar, pour in the cherry juice and beat it into the butter mixture. Fold the cherries into your frosting. That's it! Now your cherry frosting is ready to be scooped into a piping bag and used to decorate cupcakes, cakes – whatever you fancy!
– If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, you can pour in a little extra cherry juice.
– Use room temperature butter for your buttercream as it will be easier to beat.
– Pick up the finest powdered sugar you can find for super silky buttercream.
– If it's hot out, you can stash your frosting in the fridge to help it keep its shape as you're decorating your baked goods.
– To make a vegan cherry buttercream, swap out the butter for vegan butter.
– If you can't find maraschino cherries, you can use canned cherries instead. You can also substitute cherry preserves or regular cherry juice.
Add a little vanilla to your buttercream to make a tasty cherry vanilla frosting. Use vanilla bean paste for the best flavor. Almond extract is also amazing in cherry frosting.
Transfer leftover frosting to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Beat butter and sugar together using a handheld mixer on the low setting. Continue beating until smooth.
Beat in the cherry juice. Fold in the cherries. When ready to use, transfer to a piping bag.
You'll need piping bags and a decorative tip to decorate your baked goodies with your homemade cherry frosting.