- unsalted butter, softened 2 sticks
- Confectioner’s sugar 4 ½ cups
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 ½ tbsp
- Heavy Cream 2 tbsp
- Lemon zest 2 tsp
- Pinch of salt
Homemade frosting always tastes better than anything you'll pick up at the store and buttercream is no exception. While everyone loves a basic buttercream, thanks to its bright, zesty flavor, lemon buttercream frosting is perfect for your spring and summertime baking. Lemon buttercream frosting is so easy to make – just beat butter, and add in lemon, sugar, cream, and a little pinch of salt to balance it out. This thick, rich buttercream has a bold lemon flavor and makes a wonderful way to top off cakes, cupcakes, and other sweet treats. It takes just 5 minutes to make, and the amazing flavor is worth going that little extra mile to make homemade frosting.
Tips for Making the Best Lemon Buttercream Frosting
– If your buttercream is too thin, you can add up to another ½ sugar to the recipe.
– For buttercream that's too thick, pour in another tablespoon of heavy cream.
– To make a vegan version, use a vegan butter substitute and coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
– While you can use lemon extract in a pinch, nothing beats the taste of fresh lemons in lemon buttercream.
How to Store Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Lemon buttercream frosting lasts up to a week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. If freezing buttercream, thaw it overnight in the fridge, then let it come up to room temperature before using it. Just beat it slightly before spreading it onto your cakes or cupcakes.
How to Make Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Beat butter until creamy using a handheld mixer.
Set the mixer to low. Beat in the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and heavy cream.
Increase the speed to high and beat the mixture for another 3 minutes, or until it's smooth.
Let your butter come up to room temperature before making the buttercream cream.
To make beautiful decorations, fill a piping bag with your lemon buttercream and pipe it onto cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and more!