- avocado oil 1 tbsp
- Garlic, minced 1 clove
- fresh ginger, grated 3 tbsp
- Ground beef 1 lb
- coarse Sea Salt 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp
- shredded coleslaw mix 4 cups
- coconut aminos 1/4 cup
- toasted sesame oil 2 tsp
- Spring onions, chopped 1/4 cup
Low-carb crack slaw is one of the fastest, easiest keto-friendly recipes you can make. This quick, flavorful stir-fry takes just 15 minutes to cook, which makes it a phenomenal meal to make during your busy work week. Crack slaw is low in carbs and sugar but rich in proteins and healthy fats, so it's a must for anyone following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. Garlic, ginger, and pepper add a nice hit of spice to browned ground beef, while coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil add a touch of savoriness. This tasty bowl is topped off with fresh spring onions for a bit of brightness and crunch, and the combination of all these superb flavors makes the crack bowl impossible to resist!
What is Crack Slaw?
This delicious stir-fry is essentially a deconstructed egg roll that's keto-friendly. Crack slaw gets its name from the fact it's so delicious, it's highly addictive.
Is Crack Slaw Healthy?
Crack slaw is full of protein, healthy fats, and anti-inflammatory spices, which makes it a great healthy meal to enjoy whether you're on a low-carb diet or not. For those on a keto diet, pick up ground beef with a higher fat content to help you reach your macro goals. If you aren't on a low-carb diet and want to curb your fat intake, pick up lean or extra lean beef.
Tips for Making the Best Low Carb Crack Slaw
– Crack slaw is an easy make-ahead recipe. Brown the beef according to the recipe, then let it cool and store it in the fridge or freezer until you're ready to eat. Pre-shred and store the cabbage. Once it's time to reheat the beef in the wok, stir in the cabbage and coconut aminos, and follow the remaining steps as outlined in the recipe. It'll shave several minutes off your cook time.
– Low-carb crack slaw is a meal unto itself, but you can half your serving and round out your dinner with other keto-friendly dishes like cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, stuffed mushrooms, and roasted broccoli.
– For an extra boost of protein, add some scrambled eggs to your crack slaw.
– Pork, chicken, and tofu are all delicious as the main protein in crack slaw.
How to Store Crack Slaw
Keep your leftover crack slaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within 2 days.
Can I Freeze Crack Slaw?
Homemade low-carb crack slaw tastes best when made fresh. You can freeze the cooked beef, but because cabbage doesn't freeze well, we don't recommend freezing leftovers. If desired, freeze the cooked beef until you're ready to use it, then defrost it in the fridge overnight, and follow the same steps for make-ahead crack slaw.
How to Make Crack Slaw
- Heat the avocado oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the beef, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the beef until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium. Stir in the coleslaw mix and coconut aminos. Cover the wok and cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until the cabbage becomes tender.
- Remove the wok from the heat. Add the sesame oil and spring onions, tossing to combine.
– If you don't have fresh ginger on hand, substitute it for ¾ teaspoon ground ginger.
– Avocado oil is an ideal cooking oil for crack slaw thanks to its high smoke point and nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties.