- haddock 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
- Breadcrumbs 1 cup
- salted butter, melted 6 tbsp
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
- fresh parsley, chopped
Seafood is a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet and this super easy, delicious crispy baked haddock recipe is a great way to get more fish in your life without much fuss. This effortless baked haddock recipe is as simple as it gets but boasts a great flavor that you're sure to love. The haddock is topped with buttery breadcrumbs and baked for 15 minutes – basically, you can prep and bake crispy haddock in under 20 minutes! It's a healthy, amazing-tasting dinner you can make during the week that you can easily customize if you fancy.
What is Haddock?
Haddock is a firm white fish related to cod, but with a slightly stronger flavor than its cousin. It's a versatile fish that's often used to make fish and chips. Whether you fry it, bake it, steam it, or poach it, haddock should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F.
Tips for the Best Crispy Baked Haddock
– You'll know your haddock is ready when it flakes easily.
– For the best results, remove the skin from the haddock before baking.
– Season the breadcrumbs with spices to liven up your crispy baked haddock. Try adding a little paprika, cayenne, garlic, and onion powder, or some Old Bay to it. Lemon pepper would also be delicious. Other tasty versions you can try include mixing parmesan into the breadcrumbs, adding chopped fresh herbs like rosemary or dill, or tossing the breadcrumbs with a little lemon zest.
– Any firm white fish will work in this recipe. Cod or pollock are great substitutions for haddock. You can also use whitebait, catfish, or tilapia.
– Thicker cuts of fish may need a little longer in the oven.
– If you don't have breadcrumbs, crackers make a great substitution. Use Ritz or saltine crackers as a topping. To crush them, put the crackers in a sealable bag and give them a few good bashes with a rolling pin.
What to Serve with Crispy Baked Haddock
There are loads of side dishes that go beautifully with crispy baked haddock. A light green salad, some asparagus, lemon roasted potatoes, a side of rice, pasta, green beans, mashed potatoes – the list goes on.
How to Store Baked Haddock
Place leftover baked haddock in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
How to Make Baked Haddock
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Brush some of the melted butter over the bottom of a baking dish.
Toss the breadcrumbs in the remaining butter.
Seasoned the haddock with salt and pepper. Place the fish in the baking dish.
Cover the fish in the breadcrumbs.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon and serve.
When possible buy sustainably sourced fish for your meals.