- All-purpose flour 2 cups
- Baking powder 1 tbsp • 156 kcal
- Kosher Salt 1 1/4 tsp
- unsalted butter, diced 1/2 cup
- Milk 3/4 to 1 cup • 49 kcal
Fresh homemade drop biscuits are always a welcome addition to a dinner table. These flaky, tender, fluffy biscuits are amazing and you can add whatever you want for a more flavorful recipe. These drop biscuits are so simple, even novice bakers will be able to master them in no time. And the results are so good, you'll come back to this recipe again and again. With just 5 ingredients, these easy drop biscuits take less than half an hour to make, and are ideal as a quick side you can put together. Enjoy them at breakfast with a little butter or jam, add them to casseroles, or use homemade drop biscuits as a side dish to soak up sausage gravy.
Drop Biscuit Ingredients
To make the most simple version of this drop biscuit recipe, you only need 5 ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and milk or buttermilk. Baking powder helps your biscuits to rise and will give them fluffy interiors while using cold butter creates steam in the oven and will give your drop biscuits a flaky exterior. Milk, or buttermilk if you prefer keeps the biscuits moist and tender. Salt adds a bit of balance, but you can easily add sugar if you like a sweeter biscuit.
How to Make Drop Biscuits
It takes less than 30 minutes to make perfect homemade drop biscuits. Whisk the dry ingredients together, then add in the butter. Chop the butter into the flour mixture until it takes on a crumbly texture. Pour in ¾ cup of milk and stir until the dough just comes together. Scoop ¼ cup of the dough onto a baking sheet, then bake the biscuits for 18 to 22 minutes at 450°F. Serve warm with plenty of butter.
Tips for Making Easy Homemade Drop Biscuits
– While this simple drop biscuit recipe only has 5 ingredients, you can add other ingredients like herbs, scallions, bacon or cheese to make easy cheddar biscuits.
– To make a vegan version of these tasty biscuits, use your preferred non-dairy milk alternative or vegan buttermilk and a plant-based butter substitute in the place of butter and milk.
– Make sure your baking powder is in date so it can properly leaven the biscuits. If your biscuits turn out flat or hard, you may have overmixed the dough. To avoid this, only mix the dough until it's just combined.
– Use cold butter when making drop biscuits. It'll help make them flakier.
– If your dough looks too dry, you can add a little extra milk to it.
How to Store Homemade Drop Biscuits
Keep your leftover drop biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. In the fridge, they'll last for a week. Frozen drop biscuits stay fresh for up to 2 months.
Preheat your oven to 450°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
Chop the butter into the flour until the mixture becomes coarse and crumbly.
Stir in ¾ cup milk, mixing until just combined.
Scoop ¼ cup of the dough onto the baking tray.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter, if desired.
Use cold ingredients when making drop biscuits.