- All-purpose flour 400 g (3 ¼ cup)
- Milk 200 ml (2/3 cup + 2 tbsp) • 49 kcal
- ghee or clarified butter, melted 120 ml (1/2 cup)
- Granulated sugar 300 g (1 ½ cup)
- Eggs 5 • 130 kcal
- Baking powder 2 tsp • 156 kcal
- hazelnut cream for decoration
This Fluffy Hazelnut Sponge Cake is so easy to make, you have no excuse not to get baking. You simply mix all the ingredients together and get creative with decoration—not only does it have a subtly sweet hazelnut flavor, but it also looks pretty. Definitely something you’d want to make for guests! The cake texture is soft, fluffy, moist and light, with just the right amount of sweetness. It’s also an easy cake to change up and add your own variations. If you’re looking for a simple, but impressively delicious cake, then this is one for the books!
How to decorate Fluffy Hazelnut Sponge Cake
– This cake can be decorated in various ways. You can drizzle the freshly baked cake with a simple syrup, or add different frostings.
– For a chocolate frosting: melt together 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate, ½ cup heavy cream, and ¼ cup butter. Spread over the cake.
– For a hazelnut frosting: mix together 1 cup hazelnut cream (or Nutella), 8 oz tub of mascarpone cheese, and 1 cup hazelnuts. Spread over the baked, cooled cake.
– Instead of crumbs, you can use the crushed hazelnuts (or other nuts) and chocolate shavings to decorate.
– To make this cake more colorful, mix 2/3 cups of rainbow sprinkles into the batter. Top the cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting to round it off.
Recipe Tips and Notes
– This Fluffy Hazelnut Sponge Cake can be frozen after baking, before decoration. Simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and add another layer of foil. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, and follow the rest of the recipe to decorate. The crumbs (from the offcuts) can also be frozen in an airtight container.
– You can store the baked and decorated cake at room temperature for up to 4 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
– Add a tablespoon of coffee to the wet cake batter. This will add extra flavor, without having a overpowering coffee taste.
How to make Fluffy Hazelnut Sponge Cake
In a large glass bowl, add the eggs and sugar and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
Add melted butter and milk, then mix again.
In a separate bowl combine flour with baking powder.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients mix to create a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a parchment-covered baking sheet and bake at 180°C/350°F for 35 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool down and cut off the edges. Crumble the off-cuts to create crumbs.
Use a bread knife to create a diagonal pattern on the cake.
Pipe hazelnut cream on over the pattern you created.
Fill the diagonal shapes with the leftover cake crumbs.
Slice the cake into squares and serve.