In today’s world, a majority of the population is struggling with pre diabetes or diabetes. Read on to know how few basic kitchen essentials can help you to manage your blood sugar levels to the near normal range.
Insulin resistance and erratic blood sugar levels are precursors to various other critical health problems. Apart from eating healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle, you must try to include these easily available food products to manage your blood sugar levels within the desirable range.
- Cinnamon. It contains protective compounds that may lower the blood sugar level, improve insulin sensitivity, lower triglyceride, and bad cholesterol level in your body. There are studies that support the consumption of consuming as little as ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon each day to improve insulin sensitivity. But, limit your intake of cinnamon as it contains coumarin that may be harmful to health if consumed in high dose.
- Vinegar. Vinegar is a source of acetic acid that may improve insulin sensitivity and help to lower blood glucose levels if consumed before or with a carbohydrate containing meal.
- Broccoli sprouts. It contains high quantity of sulforaphane, a compound that may improve insulin resistance and protects against diabetes. Broccoli sprouts are also beneficial in lowering triglyceride, LDL cholesterol levels, and inflammation in population dealing with diabetes. You may choose between fresh broccoli sprouts or sprout powder to control your blood sugar.
- Chia and flax seeds. These popular seeds contain high quantity of insoluble fiber, which is beneficial to control the level of glucose released in to the blood stream. Finely ground flax seeds are fully digested than the unground seeds and are more effective to decrease the blood sugar levels. Chia seeds need not be powdered before consumption.
- Pistachios. These shelled nuts are beneficial to reduce blood pressure, the risk of heart disease, inflammation, insulin level, and improves glycemic control in people with diabetes.
- Green leafy vegetables. Fresh green leafy vegetable such as spinach, chard, and kale are high in magnesium and antioxidants. Studies report that eating about 1½ extra serving of these green leafy vegetables each day can reduce the risk of getting diabetes by almost 14%.
- Onion and garlic. These kitchen essentials are beneficial to lower uncontrolled blood sugar level and reduce the risk of getting diabetes. Garlic, in particular, is also beneficial to control blood pressure, bad cholesterol level, and triglyceride level in people with diabetes.
- Lentils. These high protein food items are also loaded with dietary fiber that is digested slowly and helps to manage blood glucose levels in people with diabetes.
- Red grapes. These juicy fruits contain beneficial compounds such as quercetin, and resveratrol that helps to manage blood glucose level in people with diabetes.