- Potatoes 500g (1.1 lb)
- corn flour 150g (0.3 lb)
- Cheese 200g (0.2 lb)
- salt and pepper to taste • 1 kcal
Who doesn’t love a crispy potato fry? These fried mashed potato fries are a delicious twist on the traditional French fries you’re used to. Mashed potatoes are fried to golden perfection, making them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It’s similar to potato croquettes, and is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. Serve them as a quick snack or appetizers. Your guests will love these crispy, potato bites. Serve them with ketchup, and they’ll be the kids’ new favorite meal (move over, chicken nuggets). So, if you’re looking for something different to make the next time you’re having friends over, why not try these homemade Mashed Potato Sticks? They’ll be so easy and delicious to make, you’ll make them every time.
Tips for Loaded Mashed Potato Sticks
– You might be tempted to use a stick blender or food processor to mash the potatoes, but for this recipe, it’s not recommended. The potatoes might be smooth, but they will also become stick with a tough texture. Rather use a fork to mash until smooth.
– It’s better to steam the potatoes instead of boiling. They should be as dry as possible.
– You can add a variety of tastes and texture to these Fried Mashed Potato Sticks. Add garlic and parmesan cheese to the mash before shaping into sticks. To make loaded mashed potato sticks, you can also serve it with ground beef chili.
– Add any spices you like to the mashed potato: paprika, white pepper, or even fresh herbs.
– Add fried bacon for a meaty, smoky flavor.
– You can use this recipe to make croquettes too. Bread the mashed potato sticks with flour, eggs, then breadcrumbs. Fry them, or bake in the oven at 400°F/200°C for 15 mins until cooked. Fill the croquettes with bacon or cheese.
How to make Fried Mashed Potato Sticks
Peel the potatoes, cut them into slices and steam for 30 minutes.
Mash the potatoes until smooth.
Add corn flour (or plain flour), grated cheese, salt, pepper and mix well.
Mix the ingredients until a dough forms.
Pour the mixture into an airtight bag, making sure to remove all the air. Flatten with a roller until you have a flat square of potato. Place in the freezer to freeze for 30 minutes.
Cut the bag and cut the potato into medium rectangles of the same size.
Fry in the potato sticks in vegetable oil until golden brown.
Finish with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
– The Fried Mashed Potato Sticks can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just reheat them in the oven for 10 minutes, as they might become soggy in the microwave. You can also freeze the fried potato sticks in the freezer for up to 3 months.
– Serve the homemade mashed potato sticks with a sour cream dip: simply mix together 1 cup sour cream, salt and pepper, paprika, and chopped cilantro.