- wide egg noodles 1 12-ounce bag
- fully cooked ham, diced 3 cups
- Condensed cream of chicken soup 1 10 ½-ounce can
- Sour cream 1 cup
- Milk 1 ½ cup • 49 kcal
- Garlic powder 1/2 tsp
- Pepper 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, shredded 2 cups
Busy weeknights and chilly evenings call for a simple wholesome dish that's packed with flavor but doesn't take too long to make. Ham and noodle casserole is perfect for these kinds of nights, thanks to its rich, creamy texture and the savory combination of ham, noodles, and cheese. Its decadent creaminess comes from the trio of milk, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup. With only a handful of ingredients and very little active prep, ham and noodle casserole takes about 40 minutes to make from start to finish. With its amazing flavor, your family will adore this recipe.
How to Make Ham and Noodle Casserole
Making ham and noodle casserole is so easy. First, you'll need to cook the noodles following the directions on the packet. Make sure you cook them to al dente – you want them a little firm before baking them with the other ingredients. Once the noodles have cooked to al dente, drain them then combine the noodles with the ham, milk, sour cream, soup, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir it well to make sure all the noodles are coated with the mixture and the ham is evenly distributed. Pour the noodles into a baking dish and then add plenty of cheese. All that's left to do is bake it and tuck in!
Tips for Making the Best Ham and Noodle Casserole
– Use any kind of cheese for this recipe. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, and mozzarella are all fantastic types of cheese to put in your ham and noodle casserole – or you can do a mix! If you don't want to use cheese, simply skip that step.
– Have leftover baked ham from a holiday dinner? Use leftover ham in your casserole.
– Don't overcook the noodles – you'll want them cooked to al dente because they'll continue to cook in the oven.
– You can assemble your casserole a day ahead of when you're planning to serve it then pop it in the oven the next day. Be sure to bake it within 24 hours otherwise, it risks becoming soggy.
– Add dried herbs like oregano, parsley, or thyme to your casserole, or spice it up with a little smoked paprika or cayenne pepper.
How to Store Ham and Noodle Casserole
To keep leftover ham and noodle casserole fresh, place them in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy leftovers within 4 days.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet for al dente doneness. Drain well and return the noodles to the saucepan. Add ham, sour cream, chicken soup, milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Pour the noodle mixture into the baking dish. Layer the cheese over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the casserole has heated through and the cheese has melted.
Shred the cheese yourself to ensure it melts more evenly over your casserole.