Coffee liqueur is really delicious, even more if prepared at home: in a few simple steps, you can make an excellent liqueur to serve to your guests as an after-meal or digestive drink, especially after a big lunch, or you can keep it in the pantry and use it in summer for the preparation of cakes and desserts or to enrich ice creams. Preparing it is really simple and all you need is a few ingredients: mocha coffee, sugar and alcohol, to which you can add vanilla or other aromas to make it even more delicious.
Making the coffee with the mocha and, once the 450 g dose is ready, pour the coffee into a high-sided saucepan. Add the sugar, turn the heat to low and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, to make it melt faster.
Once the mixture is ready, transfer it into a glass bowl and let it cool down. When it is well chilled, add the alcohol and mix well. Filter the coffee liqueur with a sieve and pour it in perfectly clean and dried bottles. Screw on the cork and close them well in order not to let air in.
Let it rest for about 14 days. Serve coffee liqueur cold or at room temperature.
– To make your coffee liqueur more aromatic and spicy, you can add a vanilla stick: add it together with sugar and coffee. Let it cool down, remove the vanilla stick and add the alcohol, then stir, strain and bottle. If you prefer, you can replace it with a stick of cinnamon or aniseed.
– To give a richer flavor to your homemade liqueur, you can melt some dark chocolate in hot coffee, and then follow the recipe.
– If sugar should settle on the bottom of your coffee liqueur during the resting phase, just shake it shortly before serving.
– The alcohol by volume of coffee liqueur is 23°. If you want to make it less alcoholic, you can dilute it with a syrup prepared with sugar and coffee just before serving.
– Instead of the mocha coffee, you can use instant coffee: boil water with sugar and add 3 spoons of instant coffee. Once dissolved, let it cool down, add the alcohol and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
Coffee liqueur can be stored up to 3 months in a cool place and away from light. If you want to serve it always well chilled store it in the freezer or refrigerator.