The avocado stone is edible and it contains more beneficial properties than those of the fruit pulp, already rich in nutrients and very healthy.
Dried and reduced to powder, in fact, the stone can be eaten or used for topical use.
Some people say that it does not taste good, in fact it has a bitter taste and you have to cook it and chop it finely before you can consume it.
How to prepare it
Many people remove the skin, grate it and toast it, but it is more practical to treat it like this:
- bake it in the oven (in summer it can be dried in the sun), without peeling it first, for about 2 hours at 120° C;
- let it cool, remove the brown film, put it in a paper or plastic bag and crush it in pieces with an hammer (even the meat tenderizer is fine);
- transfer it to the coffee grinder, reduce it to powder and store it in a tightly closed glass jar.
How to consume it
- Once chopped, you can add the stone powder to soups, stews, smoothies, juices, salads and Guacamole sauce prepared with the pulp, but you must always bear in mind that the taste remains a bit bitter even after cooking and so use it according to your taste.
- Alternatively, you can make an infusion, boiling 1 teaspoon of powder in 250 milliliters of water for 5 minutes and letting it rest for another 10 minutes before drinking it in small sips.
The consumption of this infusion is also recommended in the summer, because in addition to providing the body with beneficial substances in every season, potassium, magnesium and other mineral salts contained in it help in particular to protect from heat, restoring the salts lost through sweating.
- In case of diarrhea or dysentery, it is useful to sip 2 cups of a stronger infusion (the powder of 1/2 seed for 250 milliliters of water); the taste is bitter, but it is a very effective remedy.
There are no particular side effects to the consumption of avocado seeds, but it is advisable to seek advice from your doctor, especially if you suffer from diseases and take medicine, and do not overdo the dosage, since excessive consumption of avocado stone can cause constipation because of the tannins in it.
Discover all the benefits of avocado stone and how to use it for curative and beauty applications.