- White onions 2 large
- Mozzarella cheese 4 slices
- Flour 1 cup
- Eggs 4 • 130 kcal
- Bread crumbs 2 cups
- Olive oil
What an amazing combination of two classic fried treats! It is actually quite surprising that this natural combination hasn't come about sooner. By stuffing onion rings with mozzarella, you get a very flavorful , crunchy and cheesy snack that will be eaten as quickly as you can make them. It may take a little time to stuff, dip and bread each onion ring so keep this recipe for special occasions. You can also try making a large batch of these onion rings and freezing them after they have been stuffed and dipped. Then, whenever you want a cheesy onion ring, just take them out of the freezer and fry them up!
- Cut the top and bottom off of the onions and remove the onion skin
- Slice the onion into large circles, about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Separate the onion rings and set a smaller onion ring in the center of a larger onion ring.
- Slice the mozzarella and stuff it in the space between the small onion ring and large onion ring.
- Put the flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs into three separate bowls.
- Dip the onion rings in the flour then into the eggs followed by the breadcrumbs to coat them. Put the onion rings in the freezer for about 30 minutes to let them get nice and firm.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and place the onion rings in the hot oil to fry. Fry for about 2 minutes then flip the onion ring and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer the onion rings to a paper towel and let cool
- Server with marinara while hot!
-You can also make these onion rings with other types of cheese, halloumi, cheddar or any cheese that would go great with onion rings will work! Just make sure that your breading is nice and thick.
-Try out different dipping sauces for these like a spicy marinara or a nice aioli. These cheesy onions rings are so versatile that you really can't go wrong!