- large red onions 2
- chopped jalapenos 1 tbsp
- Grated ginger 1 tsp
- Fresh cilantro, chopped 2 tbsp
- Chili powder 1 tsp
- Ground cumin 1 tsp
- Coriander 1 tsp
- Rice flour 1 cup
- Vegetable oil for frying
We all love crispy fried onion rings. Something magical happens when you cook an onion. Gone are the pungent flavors, and in comes the rich addictive flavor. This onion fritter recipe is quick and easy enough to make for a snack. It’s vegan too, so everyone in your group will be happy to tuck in. They’re crispy and full of onion flavor. They’re also an interesting alternative to make to typical onion rings. You can serve it with any sauce, but garlic aioli will definitely be a perfect match for it. Red onions are used, as they’re slightly sweeter than the white variety. Ready for a new take on onions? Then make these onion fritters!
Onion Fritter Ingredients
Onions – We used red onions, but you can also use Vidalia onions. If you like a sharper taste, you’re welcome to use white onions.
Seasoning and herbs – This is for extra flavor!
Rice flour – This, together with the water, binds the onion together, making it easier to fry into patties.
Vegetable oil – this is used for frying. Use oil with a high smoking point, like peanut oil or canola oil.
Tips for Vegan Onion Fritters
– To prevent too many tears from chopping the onion, make sure your knife is super sharp. This really helps!
– Flatten the patties slightly when they’re in the pan, this will ensure even cooking.
– To bake these in the oven, place the patties on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 425°F until golden and crispy (about 10-15 minutes).
– To ensure even cooking, make sure to cut the onions into equally sized slices. If some are too thick or too thin, it will lead to overcooking or undercooking.
– As the Onion Fritters finish cooking, layer them on paper towels to absorb excess oil. This will prevent them from becoming too greasy.
How to store Onion Fritters
The Onion Fritters store well. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready for serving. You can also refry them in a bit of oil if you want to make them crispy again.
How to make Onion Fritters
Slice the red onion in thin slices.
Add the onions to a large mixing bowl and mix it with ginger, jalapenos, cilantro, chili, cumin and a generous pinch of salt.
Crush onions sliced with your hands until some juice comes out. Add rice flour and mix through.
When the mixture starts to come together, pour in cold water little by little, until the sticky batter forms.
Let the vegetable oil heat up in the skillet to 180°C/350°F. Oil your palms and form onion patties from about ¼ cup of the mixture.
Fry patties for 5-7 minutes, until crispy and deep golden.
Serve with your favorite sauce.
These Onion Fritters can be served on their own with a dipping sauce, but they’re also great served with a green salad.