- pink grapefruit soda 9 cl
- Tequila 5 cl
- Lime juice 1.5 cl
- fine salt (optional) a pinch
Paloma cocktail is a fresh and fruity Mexican drink made of tequila, lime juice, grapefruit soda and a pinch of salt, in order to make it even more delicious. This is the classic aperitif cocktail, very popular in Mexico. You can enjoy it in every moment of the day: adjust the quantity of tequila in order to have a lighter and refreshing drink for the afternoon, or to increase its amount to have a more intense aperitif with a higher alcoholic content. About the origin of Paloma cocktail, it is said it was invented by Don Javier Delgado Corona, owner and bartender of La Capilla, in Tequila. Here is how to make it to perfection in no time.
How to make Paloma
Extract the juice from the lime and strain it. Add the salt to the juice and stir to dissolve.
Pour the ice into a chilled low tumbler or Collins glass, and add the tequila, lime juice and soda.
Stir gently with a bar spoon and serve immediately with a lime wedge.
– You can leave out the salt if you do not like it, but it is an important ingredient to combine tequila and lime juice.
– You can replace pink grapefruit soda with yellow grapefruit soda. Pink soda will give a more delicate and aromatic taste to the drink, as opposed to yellow grapefruit soda. So choose which one to use according to your taste.
– If you want to give an aromatic touch to your Paloma cocktail, you can add a sprig of rosemary at the end and stir it gently.
– For extra flavor, try the Spicy Paloma.