Pizza Puff Pastry Twists are just what you need to satisfy picky eaters. If you’re looking for an appetizer that will also be your children’s favorite, then you shouldn’t miss this recipe.
It’s quick and easy to make, and also easy to make for larger crowds (perfect to serve at a party). The texture is amazing! Crispy, buttery layers of puff pastry filled with quintessential pizza ingredients: marinara sauce, cheese, and of course, pepperoni. Because it’s such a kid-friendly snack, it’s the perfect meal to pack in for school lunches… you’d even want to pack them for your work lunches too!
The puff pastry is first unrolled. You should have two equally-sized sheets. The sheets are cut into a circle using a small dinner plate. The top layer is removed, and the bottom layer is now ready for a filling. First, the marinara is spread over the layer, then topped with cheese, then finally, pepperoni pieces.
The top layer puff pastry is place on top, and then, using a small glass, the ‘pizza’ is sliced into 8 slices (not cutting right through the middle). The slices are twisted, brushed with butter, and then baked until golden.
– You can make these Pepperoni Pizza Twists ahead of time. Simply assemble, twist and then lay on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the freezer. You can bake the Puff Pastry Twists directly from the freezer, just add 5-10 minutes extra to the baking time.
– Garlic butter makes an indulgent dipping sauce for the pizza twists.
– To make these more bready you can also use pizza dough or bread dough.
– To make pockets, simple leave the pastry sheets in squares, and slice them into smaller squares once bakes.
– Feel free to get creative and make other shapes too (braids, scrolls, etc.) by slicing into smaller pieces and plaiting them.
Baked and cooled pastries Pepperoni Pizza Twists can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the oven for a few minutes until crispy.
Preheat 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfold sheets of puff pastry on a clean work surface.
Add one layer on top of the other.
Using a small salad plate turned upside-down, cut the puff pastry sheets into a circle. Save the leftover puff pastry to use in other recipes.
Remove plate. Remove top sheet of puff pastry and set aside.
Top the remaining circle of puff pastry with marinara sauce.
Sprinkle the cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
Top with chopped pepperoni.
Place the second sheet of puff pastry on top of the pepperoni.
Place a shot glass upside-down in the center of the circle. Use a knife to cut from the edge of the glass to the edge of the circle, making 8 or 9 slices around the glass.
Take each slice and twist twice, pinching the outer edges together. Remove glass.
In a small bowl, stir together melted butter and garlic powder.
Brush the pastry twists and center.
Bake for 25 minutes, until the puff pastry is cooked through and golden brown. Serve immediately with more marinara sauce.
For a sweet option, spread the bottom layer with chocolate spread or a hazelnut spread like Nutella and top with sliced bananas!