- for the biscuits
- Breadcrumbs 200 g (0.8 cup)
- Flour 220 g (1.1 cups)
- butter 82% mm 120 g (0.6 g)
- Egg yolks 3
- sour cream 20% mm 30 g (0.1 cup)
- Powdered sugar 50 g (0.4 cup)
- vanilla sugar 5 g (1 tsp)
- Salt a pinch • 1 kcal
- for the cream
- Sour cream 600 g (2.5 cup)
- Egg whites 3
- Corn starch 40 g (0.4 cup)
- Sugar 140 g (0.7 cup) • 470 kcal
- vanilla sugar 10 g (2 tsp)
- Raspberries 100 g (0.8 cup)
- powdered sugar for decorating
- mold 24 cm diameter
If you like crumb cakes, then listen up! We have a delicious raspberry crumb cake that will blow you away. The flavor is fruity and buttery, with a crunchy and moist texture. A crumb cake is a cake-like dessert where a dough is made to resemble crumbs. This is then mixed with a moist, sweet filling. In this recipe, the sweet filling is made from raspberries and sour cream. Besides these special ingredients, you only need a few pantry staples like sugar, flour, breadcrumbs, eggs, and corn starch. You get many different types of crumb cakes like New York style, Cinnamon Crumble and Streuselkuchen, but this one is the best of a fruit crumble and crumb cake combined into one.
How to make Raspberry Crumb Cake
A dough is first made with breadcrumbs, flour, and sugar. This dough is then refrigerated to firm up. The firm dough is grated into the cake pan and topped with the sour cream mixture and raspberries. Another crumb topping is added and it’s baked until cooked through.
Raspberry Crumb Cake Topping Ideas
Besides powdered sugar, there are other options for topping ideas. You can mix sugar with walnuts and cinnamon and use as a topping. Otherwise, top with flaked almonds with fresh raspberries and powdered sugar.
– You can also use frozen raspberries. Don’t have raspberries? Use a raspberry or strawberry jam!
– If you don’t like raspberries, you can use stewed apples (cooled) and add almonds for crunch.
– To make it vegan, use the appropriate vegan egg substitutes and coconut cream instead of sour cream.
– Prevent the berries from sinking into the batter by coating them with a little flour or sugar before adding them. Even if they sink, though, the cake will still be tasty! To prevent the crumbs from sinking into the batter, you can grate them smaller. Heavy crumbs might have a tendency to sink in.
– Make the cake in a square cake pan, and cut in small squares to create Raspberry Crumb Cake Bars.
How to store Raspberry Crumb Cake
Store the Raspberry Crumb Cake in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 1 month.
Add the breadcrumbs to a medium mixing bowl. Sift the flour into the bowl.
Combine bread crumbs with powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Add butter, egg yolks, sour cream and mix soft dough.
Divide the dough into two parts and wrap each in foil. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Prepare a mold lined with baking paper and grease with melted butter.
Grate the first part of the dough.
Spread it evenly on the bottom of the mold. Bake in an oven preheated to 160 ° C for 10 minutes.
Combine sour cream with half the sugar, vanilla sugar and starch.
Whisk the egg whites at room temperature into a stable foam, add sugar during whipping.
Cool the cake a little. Pour in the sour cream, and smooth with a spatula.
Spread the raspberries evenly and grate the rest of the dough.
Then bake again in an oven preheated to 160 ° C for 50 minutes. After baking, open the oven door and leave the cake for 30-40 minutes.
Cool the cake completely to room temperature, then cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat plain yogurt.