When summer arrives, you don't want to "suffer" in the kitchen anymore because of hot temperatures. Fortunately, there are plenty of possibilities to make a easy, refreshing and tasty dish, and that's where salads come into play. The classic seafood salad can be made in no time and served in many different ways. It is great as an appetizer, in sandwiches, or as a center plate for diners to enjoy. To give it an original and special twist, you can also serve this salad in a glass.
This creamy seafood salad is made of prawns and a light mayonnaise, a sauce based on mayonnaise and yogurt, so it is much lighter as regards calories and fat. It is a refreshing dish that does not cover up the ingredients and the sauce goes perfectly with them. The recipe tastes nothing like yogurt, because the mustard will give the final touch to the dish. It will be your star sauce for the summer!
To make this seafood salad is easier than you may think. Start by cooking shrimps or prawns for a few minutes, then it's time to boil eggs. In the meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing the mayonnaise, plain yogurt, mustard, dill and salt. Cut the lettuce into strips and mix it with the sauce and peeled eggs and shrimps. Finally, grate the yolk on top and let the salad rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
You can serve the seafood salad in its own bowl placed in the middle of the table, or on crusty bread toasts. For a special occasion, serve the seafood salad in glasses together with breadsticks, bagels or crackers. Don't forget to grate the egg yolk on top and add a little bit of dill to taste.
– It is important to use iceberg lettuce, because it is a lettuce that withstands sauces and rests in the refrigerator very well. If you use another type of lettuce, it will be very soft after a while and the final result will lose quality.
– If you want to leave out the mayonnaise because of the high temperatures (or because of the calories), use only yogurt, mustard and some spices to prepare your salad sauce.
– Use fresh dill instead of dried one to get more flavor.
– This seafood salad lasts for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
– If you don't have surimi on hand, you can also add crab or imitation crab, deboned fish flesh made from surimi.
– Shrimps or prawns, fresh or frozen, already cooked or not, you can choose the raw ingredients depending on your taste.
– For an exotic touch, add other spices or herbs to the mayonnaise, such as oregano, curry, paprika, cumin.
– Add other ingredients to complete your salad, from pasta, boiled and diced potatoes to pieces of fruit such as pineapple or mango. Imagination runs wild!
Cook shrimps or prawns in batches of 12 in plenty of boiling salted water. Turn off the heat, leave them in the water for 2 minutes and a half, drain them and immerse them in a bowl that you have prepared with water, salt and ice. After 5 minutes, drain them on a plate with kitchen paper.
In a saucepan with salted water, heat it to high temperature. When it boils, put the eggs inside and let them cook for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
In the meanwhile, make the sauce. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the yogurt, mustard and dill, and a pinch of salt. Stir well.
Cut the lettuce into strips and put it in a large bow. Mix all the salad ingredients.
Peel the eggs, reserve the yolk, cut them into small pieces and add them to the bowl with the lettuce.
Cut each shrimp in 3 parts and the surimi in thick slices, and add them to the bowl.
Pour the light mayonnaise and salt. Stir everything well.
The egg yolk is reserved for grating it on top, so when you are going to serve the salad.
Leave the salad in the fridge, and take it out 30 minutes before serving.