- shrimp, peeled and deveined 1 lb
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- onion, chopped 1/2 cup
- bell pepper, chopped 1/2 cup
- Garlic, minced 2 cloves
- Taco seasoning 2 tbsp
- Mozzarella cheese 1 to 2 cups
- flour tortillas 6 to 8
If you’re looking for a quick seafood recipe, you’ll love these Shrimp Quesadillas. The tortillas are crispy and golden, and each bite is packed with shrimpy seafood flavor. Only a handful of ingredients is needed: onion, peppers, shrimp, taco seasoning, and cheese. Simply cook the ingredients, add the filling to the tortilla and toast. As easy as that. These tortillas are perfect for quick lunches or even a weeknight dinner. In fact, quesadillas are a perfect way to use up any leftover meals. Simply add to your tortilla, add cheese and toast. They pack well for school or work lunches too! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips for the Best Shrimp Quesadillas
– You can also cook these Shrimp Quesadillas on the grill or the oven.
– To make this recipe healthier, you can use less cheese, use ricotta cheese, and bake instead of frying.
– Baking is useful to make a lot of quesadillas at once. Place the folded tortillas on a baking sheet, spray with cooking oil, and bake at 220°C/400°F for about 10 minutes until crispy. Serve immediately.
– Melty cheese works well with this Quesadilla recipe. Use Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, or even Brie. If you don’t necessarily want a stretchy cheese, use feta. If you want the cheese-pull, use mozzarella or Swiss cheese.
– Add other fillings like pineapples, spinach, or corn.
– Serve these Shrimp Quesadillas with a refreshing cilantro-yogurt sauce. Make your own by processing 1 cup yogurt, a handful of fresh coriander, 1 tablespoon jalapeño hot sauce, and salt and pepper in a food blender. You can serve other dipping sauces: salsa, guacamole, sweet chili sauce, and ranch dressing.
– For extra flavor, you can marinate the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with a pinch of salt, pepper, chili powder, and one tablespoon of lime juice. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
– If you’re using frozen shrimp, allow to thaw first in cold water. Do not use hot water, as the shrimp will start cooking on the outside.
– If you don’t have taco seasoning, you can also use chili powder, or Old Bay Seasoning.
How to store Shrimp Quesadillas
It’s best to eat these Shrimp Quesadillas right away, but you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or the oven for a crispier option.
How to make Shrimp Quesadillas
Heat oil in a large pan.
Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
Cook until the vegetables soften.
Add the shrimp and taco seasoning, cook for 1-2 minutes.
Cook until the shrimp is cooked through. Set aside.
Return the pan to the heat and grease with cooking spray. Add tortilla in the pan and sprinkle cheese on the one side.
Add about 5-6 shrimp and more cheese. Fold tortilla in half.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Add fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and avocado as garnishes. If you want super crispy quesadillas, make sure that the filling cools down completely before adding it to the tortillas.