Read on to know more about mycotoxins and how they affect our body.

Coffee is enjoyed by many for its taste and health benefits. However, because of the popularity of the fact that it contains potentially harmful mold known as mycotoxins, coffee is losing its charm. These mycotoxins are formed by tiny fungi-mold that may grow on the coffee crops or beans if they stored improperly. Consuming too much of these toxins can be poisoning and cause chronic health issues.

coffee

Aflatoxin B1 is a type of mycotoxin that is highly carcinogenic in nature and even regular exposure of trace amount of this substance may harm our health.

According to many studies, a measurable level of mycotoxin was present in brewed coffee, and both roasted and unroasted coffee beans. In fact, various other foods and beverages been studies to contain a measurable level of mycotoxins, such as raisins, grains, wine, beer, peanut butter, and dark chocolate.

peanut butter

The most important thing is that the mycotoxin content in foods should be below safety limits.

It should also be known that the coffee growers are well aware of the problems of mold and mycotoxins associated with coffee and have found efficient ways to deal with it. Roasting the coffee beans and wet processing are two of the most common ways to reduce the content of mycotoxins in the coffee.

Coffee is also rated according to a grading system and the presence of mycotoxins or molds in it significantly lowers its score. It is to be noted that even low quality coffee have the mycotoxin content well below the safety limit that may not harm our health. Decaf coffee has been studied to be higher in mycotoxins as the presence of caffeine helps to inhibit the growth of molds. Instant coffee has also been studies to contain a high level of mycotoxins, though well below the safe limit.