Give this tabbouleh-inspired salad made famous by renowned American actress, Jennifer Aniston, a try and you will see why she and the whole internet is obsessed. It is not only delicious and packed with so much flavor, but it also has the perfect amount of protein, smart carbs, healthy fats, and veggies, all the components of an excellent meal-sized salad.
There are so many reasons to love Jennifer Aniston's Salad and it's not just because she is one of our favourite actresses!
1. Quinoa: Instead of bulgur, you can use white quinoa as the base. You can use bulgur wheat or even farro as the grain in this salad. Quinoa is a good source of protein, high in fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals, and naturally gluten-free. It is also a complete protein, which means it has all nine essential amino acids, including lysine, which is a rare find when it comes to plant-based foods.
2. Cucumber: To add a nice crunch, it is recommended to use mini cucumbers because they do not have large seeds.
3. Fresh parsley: Flat-leaf parsley and curly parsley both work well in this recipe. Make sure your bunch of parsley is washed and dried well before chopping it.
4. Fresh mint: The addition of fresh mint adds so much flavor, and again, make sure your mint is washed and dried before chopping it.
5. Red onion: The perfect way to add a bit of flavor and more crunch. You can use yellow onion if needed.
6. Pistachios: Roasted and salted. This adds some healthy fat and more protein to this salad.
7. Chickpeas: You can use canned chickpeas (otherwise known as garbanzo beans) for ease, but of course, you can totally cook the chickpeas from scratch if desired. Freshly cooked beans are really delicious if you have the time.
8. Feta cheese: This adds some healthy fat and such a good flavor to the salad, so omitting it is not recommended. If needed, you can use vegan feta.
9. Dressing: Instead of an elaborate dressing, you can use lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to add a light and refreshing flavor to the salad.
This salad is super easy to whip up. It's ready in just 3 simple steps:
The salad keeps well in a fridge for up to 5 days, and tastes better as time passes by and the ingredients have more time to soak up more of the flavors. Just ensure that the leftovers are in an airtight container before placing them in the fridge.