- Chocolate sponge cake
- ehh yolks 4
- Sugar 50 g (0.24 cup) • 470 kcal
- Oil 60 g (0.29 cup)
- Milk 80 ml (2.82 oz) • 49 kcal
- Salt 1/2 tsp • 1 kcal
- Vanilla Extract 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour 100 g (0.77 cup)
- Cocoa powder 2 tbsp
- Egg whites 4
- tartar cream 1/4 tsp
- Powdered sugar 80 g (0.66 cup)
- Dark chocolate ganache
- Milk chocolate 120 g
- Heavy Cream 120 ml (4.23 oz)
- White chocolate ganache
- White chocolate 65 g
- Cream 32 ml (1.1 oz)
- Cream 150 ml (5.3 oz)
- Milk chocolate 200 g
- Cream 100 ml (3.5 oz)
- Butter 20 g • 717 kcal
- For the decoration
- Chocolate chips
This incredibly fluffy and moist triple chocolate cake features a chocolate sponge cake layered with dark and white chocolate ganache fillings. Delicious alternative to classic chocolate cake, top your masterpiece with even more chocolate chips for a decadent show-stopper made for the chocoholic in your life. To make this cake extra moist and flavorful, the recipe uses oil instead of butter. As a result, this cake is more shelf-stable, so you can enjoy a moist cake several days after baking, no need to worry about anything going stale.
Triple chocolate cake ingredients
You need mostly pantry-friendly ingredients that you may already have on hand for this triple chocolate cake recipe. For the sponge cake, get out: 4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites, Sugar, and oil instead of butter to trap in moisture. Go on with milk, vanilla, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and tartar cream to stabilize your whisked egg whites.
To make the easy two-ingredient dark chocolate ganache filling you just need milk chocolate and heavy cream. For the decadent white chocolate ganache filling, you’ll need white chocolate, cream, milk chocolate, and butter. Finally, add simple chocolate chips for crunch, flavor, and an extra punch of chocolate to decorate the cake.
How to make Triple Chocolate Cake From Scratch
First, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, oil, salt, and milk until well combined. Using a fine-mesh strainer, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl, and whisk to combine.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and tartar cream until light and frothy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until stiff. Add a large scoop of the egg white mixture to the chocolate egg yolk batter. Fold to lighten the chocolate mixture. Continue to add the egg whites to the chocolate batter, folding just to combine. Pour the cake batter into a round cake pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 55 minutes.
Let the cake cool fully, then remove it from the cake pan and carefully slice the cake into four thin rounds.
In a glass mixing bowl, combine the chopped dark chocolate and hot cream for the chocolate ganache filling. Mix until the chocolate is completely melted and set aside.
In a separate glass bowl, combine the white chocolate and warmed cream for the white chocolate ganache filling.
To assemble the chocolate cake, place one layer of cake on a platter. Brush with milk, then a layer of chocolate ganache filling. Place the next layer of chocolate cake on top, brush with milk, and white chocolate ganache filling. Repeat with the remaining filling and cake.
In a glass mixing bowl, make whipped cream with the remaining heavy cream and an electric mixer. Spread the whipped cream on the top of the assembled triple-layer chocolate cake. When fully frosted, chill the cake for 1 hour.
In a small saucepan, melt the sugar, butter, and milk chocolate for a chocolate glaze. Pour the warm glaze over the cooled cake. Smooth it out, press chocolate shavings into the side of the cake for decoration. Enjoy!
Top with chocolate buttercream?
If you want to bring this triple layer cake to the next level, you can certainly top it with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting. White chocolate buttercream would also work. The buttercream will offer a night light and airy balance to the dense chocolate cake and ganache fillings.
- Chocolate sponge cake Add egg yolks and sugar to the bowl. Whisk. Add butter and whisk.
- Add milk, salt and vanilla extract, and whisk. Sift the dry ingredients into the mixture. Mix. Beat egg whites in another bowl. Add tartar cream and whisk. Add sugar and beat. Gently add the egg white mixture in 3 servings to the dough. Bake at 140 ° C / 285 ° F for about 50-55 minutes. Cut the cake into 4 layers.
- Dark Chocolate Ganache: Pour the warm cream onto the chocolate. Stir the mixture. Beat with a mixer.
- White Chocolate Ganache: Pour warm cream onto white chocolate. Stir.
- Apply dark and white chocolate ganache between layers of biscuit. Cool for 1 hour.
- Topping for whipped cream: Whip the cream in a bowl until peaks form. Apply cream to the cake. Cool for 1 hour.
- Add cream and butter to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the chocolate and mix. Pour the ganache over the chilled cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.