- Chicken breast 1 large deskinned
- Salt 1 tsp, plus one pinch • 1 kcal
- Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp, plus one pinch
- Olive oil 3/4 tbsp, plus 1 tsp
- Red onion 1/2 large, finely chopped
- Jalapeno pepper 1, finely chopped
- Green chili 1 large, finely chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, finely grated
- Dried oregano 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Chicken broth 3 cups
- Cannellini beans 1/2 cup, roughly mashed
- Light cheddar cheese 3 tbsps, grated
- Fresh basil leaves 2, thinly sliced
White bean chicken chili is such a filling and spiced up chicken and bean preparation that if you happen to eat it at lunch time you will feel full until the end of the day. This also means that it is a very wholesome, low on calories and nutritious main meal preparation to enjoy on a bright winter day!
- Cut the chicken breast in to large cubes of 1 inch width.
- Rub the chicken cubes with a pinch of salt and black pepper powder each.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté the chicken cubes in it on medium flame until it turns golden brown in color. Transfer the chicken cubes in a thick bottom pot.
- In the same pan you sautéed chicken in, now add the chopped onion with the remaining olive oil.
- Cook onion until light pink in color. Add grated garlic, jalapeno pepper, green chili, oregano, cumin powder, and give everything a nice stir.
- Cook the onion and spice mixture for 2 minutes and transfer it to the large pot.
- Add both the mashed and whole cannellini beans to the saucepan with one cup of chicken stock. Stir everything well, cover and cook on medium flame until the beans are about almost done.
- Transfer the beans mixture to the large pot containing chicken and onions.
- Add the remaining chicken broth to the pot, cover the pot and let the chili cook on medium flame until the chicken cooks while stirring intermittently.
- Adjust the seasonings by adding salt and black pepper powder to the chili.
- Transfer the chili to the serving pot. Garnish with light cheddar cheese and basil slices. Serve the chili hot and enjoy!
- You may increase or decrease the spice content of chili as per your preference by adjusting the quantities of the chili peppers you add to the dish.
- Do not over cook the chicken cubes.
The chili is best served with tortillas, crackers or rice!
Nutritional information (per serving): 204 Calories, 8.5g Total fat (3g Saturated fat, 1.3g Polyunsaturated fat, 5.6g Monounsaturated fat), 31.7mg Cholesterol, 1859.6mg Sodium, 519.2mg Potassium, 18.4g Total carbohydrates (4.3g Dietary fiber, 2.4g Sugars), 17.5g Protein