Banana is one of the most widely eaten fruit in the world and is an extraordinary gift of Mother Nature to us. Here are 14 incredible facts about the banana that you might not be aware of.
For centuries, banana has been eaten in many different forms to provide nutrition and satisfy our appetite. In many South Asian cultures, the banana tree is worshipped and is an important part of their various religious ceremonies. Here is a list of 14 amazing facts about the banana.
- Mental health. It contains a high amount of tryptophan that is transformed in to serotonin, which helps to regulate anxiety, mood swings, makes you feel happier, and helps to overcome depression. Vitamin B6 present in banana is beneficial to increase focus and mental acuity. This fruit is also beneficial to lower the risk of the neurodegenerative disorder such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and protects our brain against neurotoxicity.
- Lose weight. Bananas are a great source of fiber and vitamin B6, both of which protect against type 2 diabetes and assists in fat metabolism. Also, banana contains resistant starch that supports gut health, suppresses appetite, controls blood glucose, and increases fat metabolism by up to 30%.
- Regulates bowel movement. The high fiber content of hemicellulose, cellulose, and alpha glucan in banana is beneficial to relieve both constipation and diarrhea. It is also rich in probiotics that maintains the integrity of the bowel system.
- Cardiovascular health. Banana contains a high level of potassium that reduces blood pressure and aortic stiffness. The high fiber content of banana is also beneficial to slow down the cholesterol and blood sugar absorption in the blood.
- Improves vision. It is a good source of vitamin A that helps to protect eyes and maintains the night vision.
- Anemia. Bananas are a rich source of iron and also contain a good amount of vitamin C, both of these nutrients are beneficial to increase the hemoglobin levels in the blood.
- Ant inflammation. It contains phytochemicals and magnesium that prevents cancer and fights inflammation.
- Energy. Banana is a great source of natural sugar, fiber, and potassium, all of which are beneficial to boost energy levels. It also boosts serotonin and dopamine levels of the body that help to counter oxidative stress and enhances overall performance.
- Relieves cramps. Consume cooked banana flower with yogurt to increase the progesterone levels in the body, reduce menstrual bleeding, and alleviate cramps.
- Astringent. The sap of banana can be used to treat fever, dysentery, leprosy, epilepsy, hemorrhoids, and it also contains astringent properties.
- Antifungal benefits. Peel of the banana has antifungal and antibiotic benefits that can be used to treat warts, psoriasis, and splinters.
- Heart burn. Bananas are highly beneficial to treat ulcers, heart burn, and acid reflux.
- Protect kidneys. High potassium content of banana is beneficial to encourage urination and releases more toxins from the body.
- Aging. Apply mashed banana over your face to reduce dark circles and fine lines of aging.