The wakame seaweed is a type of Seaweed with roots extending deep into Korean and Japanese history. It is known for its special texture but did you know that it provides a host of health benefits? In this article we examine the health benefits that expert nutritionists have linked to this edible seaweed so be sure to read to the end.
Wakame has been cultivated in Japan and Korea for centuries now. Many like it because it adds a distinct taste and texture to soups and salad and also because it is low in calories but high in essential nutrients.
Besides that, wakame seaweed also provides a bunch of potential benefits. Below are a few of them.
1. Wakame seaweeds are low in calories and rich in nutrients
As mentioned earlier, Wakame are not just very low in calories, they also contain a considerable level of iodine, manganese, folate, magnesium and calcium.
2. The high iodine content may support proper thyroid function
Wakame contains iodine, an important nutrient needed by the thyroid to function and produce thyroid hormones.
3. They may have a calming effect on blood pressure and help reduce heart disease
Animal and human studies have shown that wakame may be beneficial in reducing blood pressure levels, however more research is required to gain better knowledge on why and how this happens.
4. They are great for the heart because they lower cholesterol levels
Animal studies have proven that wakame can reduce cholesterol levels to help promote heart health. But, there is still a lack of research on how it will affect humans.
5. They may have the ability to battle cancer
research carried out in test-tubes and on animals have shown that wakame may aid the blocking of cancerous cell growth in the body however, the research remains inconclusive.
6. They may decrease blood sugar and support insulin resistance
According to some studies, wakame can reduce glucose production in the body and prevent insulin resistance to maintain control over blood sugar. Again, there is a need for more human research to provide more evidence for this benefit.
7. They may have a positive effect on weight loss
A couple of animal studies claim that wakame can prevent weight gain and reduce the amount of fat tissue in the body.
8. They are versatile and can easily be incorporated into your diet
Wakame can be prepared in different ways for different reasons. It could be soaked and added to soups, salads and side dishes to add more nutrients to your favorite foods.