Aloo gobi is a delicious Indian recipe made with cauliflower, potatoes, and a tantalizing array of spices. This vegan-friendly Indian-style cauliflower recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and is chock-full of healthy ingredients. Spices like cumin, turmeric, and chili powder add flavor and a gorgeous aroma to aloo gobi, while potatoes, cauliflower, onions, and tomatoes make it a hearty dish. There are many variations of aloo gobi which reflects the wonderful diversity of Indian cuisine. You'll find versions with peas, curry leaves, nigella seeds, fresh green chilies – the list goes on! No matter what version you try, you can bet this Indian-style cauliflower will be totally delicious!
– Love lots of heat? Add extra red chili powder to your aloo gobi. On a similar note, be generous with how much cilantro you add to your aloo gobi – it adds a terrific freshness to the dish.
– Waxy potatoes are the best option for this recipe – they'll hold their shape and help prevent your aloo gobi from going to mush.
– Add a teaspoon of tomato puree for a more tomatoey flavor.
– You can also roast the vegetables first, then add them to the spices and follow the recipe as outlined above. To roast the vegetables, preheat your oven to 400°F. Lightly drizzle the cauliflower and potatoes with oil, arrange them in a single layer on a baking tray, then roast them for 30 minutes. Let them cool slightly before adding them to the spice mix.
1. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Fry the cauliflower for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, lower the heat, and cook for 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel.
2. Heat more oil if necessary. Fry cumin seeds for 1 minute. Add the onions, cooking for 5 minutes or until they turn translucent. Stir in the garlic-ginger paste and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
4. Add in turmeric, chili powder, and dried mango powder, stir to combine, then cover the pan and allow the mixture to cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Place the potatoes and cauliflower in the pan. Sprinkle in chopped cilantro and garam masala, stir to combine and cook on medium-low for 5 minutes.
6. Season with a dash of salt and cook for 6 minutes. The vegetables should be tender but not mushy.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
– The amount of spice called for in this Indian-style cauliflower recipe is just a starting point. Feel free to tailor the amounts to suit your tastes.
– Vegetable oil works best in this recipe, but extra virgin olive oil would work as well.
– You can also deep fry the potatoes and cauliflower, but deep frying isn't as healthy a cooking method.