- For the dough
- Flour type 0 550 gr (4 ½ cups)
- Egg 1 • 130 kcal
- Milk 270 gr (1 cup) • 49 kcal
- Instant baking powder 7 gr (1 ½ tsp)
- Sugar 1 tsp • 470 kcal
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- For the stuffing
- already cleaned broccoli 300 gr
- Cooked ham 200 gr
- Scamorza cheese 120 gr
The broccoli, ham and cheese rolls are delicious and very simple to prepare, ideal to be served hot as an appetizer to your friends, at a dinner or party buffet. Also tasty at room temperature, they can be put in the picnic basket and enjoyed during a trip to the park or a walk by the sea. Once you have the dough, just stuff it with your favorite cold cuts and cheeses, roll it up, cut it in small rolls and then bake everything in the oven. The final result is a soft and greedy dish, with a super stringy heart. So let’s find out how to make these rolls by following our recipe step by step.
How to make Broccoli Ham Cheese Rolls
Mix the flour with the instant baking powder and salt in a bowl (1).
Add the egg (2), milk and sugar, then start mixing with a spoon.
Transfer the mixture onto a work surface and knead vigorously until the dough is smooth and homogeneous (3).
Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel (4) and let it rise until doubled in volume.
Meanwhile, boil the broccoli in boiling salted water; once cooked al dente, drain and let them cool (5).
After the rising time, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 6-7 mm and form a 30 × 40 cm rectangle (6).
Spread over the ham, the lightly chopped broccoli and the diced scamorza (7).
Roll up the dough (8) and seal it carefully.
Cut the roll into slices about 2 centimeters thick (9).
Transfer the rolls to a pan (10), cover them and let them rise for half an hour. Cook them in a static oven at 200 degrees C for about 20 minutes.
When the rolls are golden brown and crunchy, take them out of the oven and enjoy them hot or at room temperature (11).
– With the doses indicated in the recipe, you will get about 12 rolls.
– To make the rolls, you can also use a flour suitable for baking or, for an even softer result, you can add about 200 grams of Manitoba flour to be subtracted from the total amount of flour indicated in the recipe.
– In our recipe we used an instant baking powder. If you want to use the fresh one, consider about 25 grams.
– You can stuff the rectangle of pasta with what you prefer or have at home. It is also an excellent idea to empty the fridge. You can replace the broccoli with a sautéed vegetable from lunch, such as spinach, chard, zucchini… Instead of cooked ham, you can put raw ham or another cured meat. The same goes for the scamorza cheese, which you can replace with provolone, mozzarella and so on.
– You can prepare your rolls in advance and then store them in the freezer, to have a supply ready when you are in a hurry or have unexpected guests for dinner.
– If you liked this recipe, also try these cheese and ham rolls.
How to store Broccoli Ham Cheese Rolls
The broccoli, ham and cheese rolls can be stored in the refrigerator, inside a special airtight container, for a maximum of 1-2 days. Before eating, heat them in the microwave oven or in the oven.