- Chickpeas 1 15-ounce can
- Butter 2 tbsp • 717 kcal
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Parsley 1/3 cup
- sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil 2 tbsp
- Dried basil 1 tsp
- Dried oregano 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Pepper 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese 1/3 cup
- Dried thyme 1 tsp
- Bay 1 leaf
- uncooked basmati rice 1 cup
- Water 2 cups
Whether you eat meat or lead a vegetarian lifestyle, chickpea rice is a fantastic, flavorful vegetarian dish that everyone will enjoy. It's a healthy, easy-to-make that's filled with nutritious chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes mixed with rice, and seasoned with a variety of fresh and dried herbs. It's a great recipe to build on – you can tweak it however you like to make delicious new takes on chickpeas and rice. There are also a few classic variations on this vegetarian favorite like Spanish, Greek, or Turkish chickpeas and rice. Whatever you choose, chickpeas and rice is a fast, delicious vegetarian recipe that's perfect for busy weeknights when you don't want to sacrifice flavor for convenience.
How to Make Chickpeas and Rice
The first step to making chickpea rice is to prepare the rice. Rinse it and cook it according to the package instructions. You can use veggie stock instead of water to give it more flavor. Once it's cooked, drain it and set the rice aside.
Melt half the butter in the olive oil, then stir in the chickpeas. Cook them for a few minutes, or until they begin to brown, then mix in the tomato and parsley. Let them cook for another 5 minutes or so. Season the mixture with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for a final minute or so. Finally, take the pan off the heat and mix the chickpea mixture with the rice. Mix it well to coat the rice, add some cheese and a bit more butter for good measure, and get ready to tuck in!
Tips for Making the Best Chickpea Rice
– It's easy to turn this vegetarian recipe into a vegan one. Use coconut oil instead of butter and leave out the cheese (or use a vegan-friendly substitute).
– For a more flavorful dish, cook the rice in vegetable stock.
– There are plenty of chickpea rice variations to try. Add beans, pine nuts, and raisins for a more Middle Eastern flavor, or mix in some garlic, smoked paprika, and olives for a Spanish version. Lemon, tahini, and black olives give it a Greek flair while a little turmeric, cilantro, curry powder, and garam masala will give it an Indian flavor – the options are endless!
– Make this dish even healthier by using brown rice, quinoa, or farro instead of white rice.
– You can use an instant pot to make chickpea rice. Cook the chickpeas as stated in the recipe on the saute setting. Once you've added in the tomatoes, herbs, and seasonings. Cancel the saute setting, pour in the water and rice, then secure the lid. Set it to pressure cook on high for 7 minutes, followed by a 5-minute natural release. Garnish with cheese and add in the remaining butter and serve.
How to Serve Chickpeas and Rice
Chickpea rice is a perfect, hearty, tasty main dish. Serve it with a light cucumber salad or some sauteed or steamed vegetables. You can also enjoy chickpea rice as a side dish for your favorite vegetarian main meals. It's amazing with falafels!
How to Store and Freeze Chickpeas and Rice
Place leftover chickpeas and rice in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Frozen it will last up to 2 months.
Put the rice, water, bay leaf, and thyme in a large pot. Prepare the rice according to the instructions on the package.
In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the oil. Add the chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the parsley and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Stir in the oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
Turn off the heat and combine the rice and chickpeas, mixing until the rice turns golden yellow.
Stir in the parmesan cheese and the remaining butter.
Make sure to rinse the rice before cooking it to remove excess starch.