- gin 4 ounces
- simple syrup 2 ounces
- Lemon juice 2 ounces
- Fresh basil 10 leaves
- ice cubes
Gin Basil Smash is a modern cocktail you can easily make at home. This refreshing drink is perfect to sip in summer together with friends. Herbaceous and light, it is very easy and quick to make as it calls for only four ingredients. Smashes require mixed herbs and citrus fruits, so this recipe is made of gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and basil leaves. Originally called Gin Pesto for its flavor, the gin basil smash is a pretty new drink. In fact, it was invented in Hamburg (Germany) by the bartender Jörg Meyer only in 2008. Despite its brief history, it has already become a very popular cocktail all over the world.
How to make Gin Basil Smash
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil leaves with lemon juice.
Pour in the gin, simple syrup and ice cubes. Shake it until chilled.
Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with basil leaves.
– To make the simple syrup, let dissolve equal parts of sugar and water in a saucepan. It takes only a few minutes.
– Store leftover sugar syrup in the refrigerator for up to a week and use it for making cocktails and sodas.
Gin Basil Smash Variations
– You can customize this recipe as you want. An example? Add some fresh blackberries to give the drink a new boost.
– You can replace simple syrup with honey if you are in a hurry.
– For a more intense flavor, add fresh mint leaves. You can also blend together the simple syrup and basil to create a refreshing cocktail to sip in summer.
– To enhance the cocktail aroma, try to add rosemary or a bar spoon of Chartreuse into the shaker.