- Lean ground beef 1 pound
- onion, diced 1/2 cup
- Beef broth 6 cups
- Diced tomatoes 14 ounces
- Tomato paste 2 tbsp
- Worcestershire Sauce 1 tsp
- Dried oregano 1/2 tsp
- Dried basil 1/2 tsp
- Elbow macaroni, uncooked 1 ½ cups
- mixed vegetables, frozen 1 ½ cups
- salt and pepper to taste • 1 kcal
Hamburger soup with pasta is richly flavored and packed with healthy vegetables, macaroni, and ground beef – it's a dish your kids will love. This hearty, comforting soup is a perfect way to use leftover ground beef and satisfy the taste buds of picky eaters. Similar to hamburger potato soup, this is an easy recipe you can whip up in about 30 minutes, making it a killer option for busy weeknights. Garnish this delicious hamburger soup with pasta with croutons, grated cheddar cheese, or served it with a thick slice of crusty bread.
What Kind of Beef to Use for Beef and Macaroni Soup
Extra-lean ground beef is the way to go for your hamburger soup with pasta. It's an excellent way to use up leftover ground beef.
What Type of Pasta Should I Use for Hamburger Soup with Pasta?
There are different types of pasta, but smaller tube-shaped pasta is perfect for this ground beef soup. Macaroni, rigatoni, ziti, and penne are all great choices.
Tips for the Best Beef and Macaroni Soup
– Uncooked pasta is best for making beef and macaroni soup as it won't overcook. If you're using leftover pasta, add it into the broth and cook until heated through, but be wary – it may become too soft.
– Pasta doesn't freeze well, so if you're planning on making hamburger soup with pasta ahead of time, wait to add the pasta until you're ready to eat.
– If you don't eat beef, use ground chicken or turkey instead.
– You can use fresh vegetables in this soup, but add them before the pasta to give them enough time to cook and soften up.
– Add other spices and seasonings to customize the taste of your soup. Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, or rosemary are all fantastic in this hearty soup.
– Ground beef and pasta soup is a delicious wholesome main dish, but you can also enjoy it as a starter. Serve it with a green salad, dinner rolls, a grilled cheese sandwich, or quesadillas.
How to Store Homemade Hamburger Soup with Pasta
Let the soup cool completely before storing your leftovers. Pour the soup into an airtight container and place it in the fridge. It'll stay fresh for up to 3 days.
In the freezer, hamburger soup with pasta lasts about 3 months. For best results, freeze without pasta.
How to Make Hamburger Soup with Pasta
- Heat olive in a large soup pot over medium heat. Mix in the beef and onions. Saute until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Drain off excess fat.
- Pour in the stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and vegetables. Continue to simmer for another 8 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
Make a vegetarian version of this tasty soup by substituting beef for beans and beef broth for vegetable stock.