- flank steak, cut into strips 2 pounds
- Cornstarch 1/2 cup • 338 kcal
- Rice vinegar 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce 1 cup
- Water 2/3 cup
- Garlic, minced 4 cloves
- ginger, minced 1 ½ tsp
- brown sugar packed 1 cup
- Red pepper flakes 1/2 tsp
- Sesame oil 4 tbsp
- green onions, chopped 3
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsp
If you've never had Mongolian beef, you've been missing out. This Asian recipe is often found on restaurant menus and is loved all over the world thanks to its ultra-tender meat coated in a flavorful spicy, savory, sweet sauce. This Instant Pot Mongolian beef recipe is a healthier, easy way to make this popular dish at home. It's virtually effortless to make and the results are so phenomenally delicious, don't be surprised if you find yourself making homemade Instant Pot Mongolian beef a few times a week!
How to Make Easy Mongolian Beef in an Instant Pot
One of the reasons we love Instant Pots is that they make cooking a cinch. To make Mongolian beef in an Instant Pot, all you need to do is saute the flank steak in sesame oil until it's lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, making sure to work in batches so you don't crowd the pot. While the beef is searing, combine the ingredients for the sauce. Once all the beef has been browned, stir in the sauce, lid the Instant Pot, and cook on high for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release, garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds, and serve with rice, noodles, or whatever you prefer.
What Kind of Beef is Best for Mongolian Beef
Flank steak is one of the go-to beef cuts for most Mongolian beef recipes, but a top round will also be tasty and tender. Flank steak is leaner but incredibly flavorful and when cooked in an Instant Pot or slow cooker, becomes meltingly soft.
What Can I Serve with Mongolian Beef
There are plenty of options for what to serve with Mongolian beef. Serve it over noodles, rice, or quinoa with a side of vegetables to make a complete, nutritious meal. If you're on a low-carb or keto diet, serve Mongolian beef with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
Tips for Easy Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
– Slice the beef against the grain. You can also freeze the beef for 15 to 20 minutes to make it easier to cut. You want ultra-thin slices for your Mongolian beef.
– Don't substitute flour for cornstarch. The cornstarch helps tenderize the beef in a way flour does not.
– Work in batches when browning the beef. Depending on the size of your Instant Pot, you may need to do 2 to 4 batches.
– If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can use a slow cooker to make perfect Mongolian beef. Sear the beef, then add the sauce, and cook for 2 to 3 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low.
– This recipe is great if you're on a keto diet. Swap out brown sugar for the sweetener of your choice and you can follow the recipe as-is for a simple keto version.
Can I use Chicken Instead of Beef?
Of course! Chicken will be just as delicious as beef in this recipe. For a leaner cut, use chicken breasts. If you prefer fattier (and thus more flavorful) cuts, chicken thighs are the way to go.
How to Store Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
If you have leftovers, you can put your Instant Pot Mongolian beef in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 4 days. Frozen Mongolian beef lasts 3 to 4 months.
How to Make Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
In a large bowl, toss the beef with the cornstarch. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
Whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, garlic, ginger, sugar, and chili flakes.
Set your Instant Pot to saute. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil and saute half the beef. Once browned, remove from the pot and repeat the process with the remaining beef. Cancel the saute setting, and place all the beef in the Instant Pot.
Pour the soy sauce mixture over the beef, toss to coat. Close the lid, set the pressure to High, and cook for 10 minutes. Once done cooking, do a quick release.
Add the green onions, stirring to combine. Garnish with sesame seeds before serving.
If you're looking to reduce your salt intake, use low sodium soy sauce.
Use toasted sesame seeds instead of raw ones for an extra subtle pop of flavor.