Many people who love scallions have had to curb using it because it can't keep for very long. If you belong to this population, then you must have been using the wrong storage methods for your scallions all this time!
This method will keep your scallions crisp and fresh for a week in the refrigerator. Here's the step-by-step guide to achieving this:
- The first and most important step to extending your scallions' fridge life is to fill a glass with enough water to cover their roots.
- Next, place the scallions in the glass and, for extra protection, cover the glass and scallions in a plastic bag.
- Finally, place the glass container into your fridge.
Next, here are a few tips to keep in mind when using this method:
- Care for your scallions like you would for a fresh bouquet of flowers by changing out the water once every few days.
- Trim the tops of the scallions before storing, to optimize storage space in your fridge and also keep them slightly longer.
Believe it or not, these simple storage tricks can also work for chives and shallots because just like flowers and scallions, they also continue "living" even after they're cut and harvested.
Now, you'll always have a fresh batch of scallions ready for cooking at any time. Don't forget to spread about this new storage trick!