Basil essential oil has many beneficial properties for our health and beauty: it balances the intestinal flora, it plays an antiseptic and calming action, but it is also good for our hair. Let's discover all its properties!
The essential oil of basil is obtained from the steam distillation of basil leaves, an annual herbaceous plant used in cooking for its taste and to give color to dishes, as well as being beneficial to health. The essential oil of basil was already used in ancient times for its therapeutic properties and it is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine but also in Western medicine. Its fragrance is delicate, fresh, slightly spicy and with a balsamic effect and its color can be light yellow or straw-colored. It has stimulating and decongestant properties and it is good for the intestine. It is useful for treating coughs and colds and, thanks to its antispasmodic properties, it is also able to relieve gastric and intestinal disorders. It also helps reduce anxiety and eliminate stress as well as being good for acne and our hair.
Beneficial properties of basil essential oil
1. Basil essential oil is excellent for the respiratory system: basil essential oil has expectorant and decongestant properties useful in case of colds, coughs, rhinitis, bronchitis, sinusitis but also flu, asthma. In these cases it is recommended to do fumigations with hot water and five drops of essential oil. Basil essential oil also performs an antimicrobial and antiseptic action to treat infectious diseases and cystitis caused by Escherichia coli.
2. Basil essential oil is useful for the well-being of the stomach and intestines: basil essential oil has antispasmodic properties helping the stomach in case of spasms, poor digestion, aerophagia but also menstrual pain and abdominal swelling. To promote digestion and the elimination of excess air from the belly, massage with a circular motion, clockwise, a mixture of three drops of basil essential oil in a tablespoon of olive oil. In addition, two drops of essential oil taken with a teaspoon of honey protect the intestinal flora and also prevent attacks by fungi and bacteria.
3. Basil essential oil is helps the circulation: the essential oil of basil is able to stimulate the blood circulation helping also in case of low pressure, cardiac arrhythmias and arteriosclerosis.
4. Basil essential oil fights anxiety and stress: in times when we are particularly anxious or stressed, the essential oil of basil can make us find the right balance because it stimulates our mind in a positive way. Just inhale it to take advantage of its relaxing effect, useful even when we feel a little depressed, to combat insomnia and mental fatigue and nausea. Basil essential oil can also have beneficial effects in people suffering from epilepsy, dizziness or fatigue.
5. Basil essential oil helps in cases of muscle pain: the essential oil of basil is also used to soothe pain due to muscle cramps or rheumatism: massage the affected part with a mixture of 20 drops of essential oil of basil and 40 ml of wheat germ oil.
6. Basil essential oil is anti-inflammatory and insect repellent: thanks to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, the essential oil of basil is excellent for treating headaches but also in the case of gout, arthritis and it also helps to reduce edema. It is also recommended against insect bites and, used in the environment, works as a natural repellent.
7. Basil essential oil is a panacea for the skin: for a brighter skin and to fight acne, apply a mixture of basil essential oil and jojoba oil by dabbing on the face with cotton wool. Basil essential oil also helps to heal wounds quickly: add a little apple cider vinegar and three drops of basil essential oil to 250 ml of hot water and make packs to leave overnight.
8. Basil essential oil is good for stronger hair: in case of weak hair that tends to fall, add 15 drops of essential oil of basil to your shampoo: it will help you reactivate the blood circulation favoring regrowth.