- All-purpose flour 400 gr (3 cups)
- Baking powder 2 tsp • 156 kcal
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- hot water 230 ml (7.77 oz)
- butter, softened 60 gr (0.22 cup)
Homemade Flour Tortillas are so quick and easy to make, there’s really no excuse not to. In fact, you’ll probably find it quicker than going to the store and buying it. You don’t need fancy ingredients either. Unlike corn tortillas, this recipe calls for flour. Simply grab flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and water, and you’re on your way to a soft and fluffy tortilla. And of course, tortillas can be eaten with pretty much anything. How easy are they to make? Mix flour, water, butter and salt. Cook them 2 minutes on each side. These will be the Best Homemade Flour Tortillas you’ve ever had!
How to make Homemade Flour Tortillas
Homemade Tortillas are quick and to assemble. Simply mix together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then add the butter and mix with your fingers until a crumbly mixture forms. Slowly add the water, and use your hands again to mix it until a smooth dough forms.
The mixture is divided and then the dough balls need to rest for a while. After resting, you simply roll them out and bake them in a hot pan. As easy as that!
Tips for the Best Homemade Flour Tortillas
– While you don’t need a tortilla press for this recipe, it does make your job easier if you’re making tortillas for a large crowd. It will then be easier to flatten the dough balls. If you’re only making a few, then a wooden rolling pin will work perfectly fine.
– The butter is crumbled into the dough. This creates a small pocket when the dough is heated, which causes it to puff up. If your tortillas are not puffing up, it means your butter was too hot, the water was too hot, or you added too much water.
– The fat you use in the recipe will influence the texture of the tortilla. If you use oil, your tortillas will be soft and neutral-tasting. Lard will produce a tortilla that is more flaky and flavorful. Shortening will also produce soft tortillas, but their flavor might not be that pleasant.
– If you don’t have baking powder, you can omit it from the recipe!
– To ensure that your tortillas remain soft and pliable, keep the cooked ones on a plate under a damp kitchen towel until you’re ready to serve.
How to serve Homemade Flour Tortillas
A Homemade Tortilla is the perfect vehicle for an endless list of recipes. Try them with classic chicken chili, pulled pork, or beef chili. If you’re feeling adventurous, try a Tortilla Pizza, Tortilla Rolls, Tortilla Samosas, or a Tortilla Wrap. Alternatively, have a look at these 12 Unique Ways to Eat Tortillas.
How to store Homemade Tortillas
These Homemade Tortillas can be stored in the fridge or the freezer. To store them in the fridge, simply place the tortillas between layers of paper towel and place in an airtight container.
To freeze, allow them to cool first. Place between layers of wax paper, place in a freezer bag, and place in the freezer. Reheat the tortillas in the oven at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes.
Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Add the butter and knead with fingers until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add the hot water.
Knead the dough until smooth.
Divide the dough into 14 equally-sized balls.
Leave the balls for 15 minutes.
Place the small ball on a floured surface.
Roll out each ball.
Fry the rolled out dough in a frying pan over medium heat. Wait until bubbles start to form on the surface.
Turn over and fry until both sides are golden.
Serve with your favorite filling.
Make sure that you roll out the tortillas thinly. If they are too thick, they will end up hard and chewy.