- Lemon juice 500 ml
- Lemon peel 3
- Sugar 250 gr • 470 kcal
The homemade lemon syrup is a concentrated juice made from sugar, juice and lemon peel, perfect to prepare a refreshing drink rich in vitamin C. It is therefore the perfect base for lemonade but also for making slushies, ice lollies and more. Once ready, you can keep the lemon syrup for up to a year: just bottle it immediately in sterilized bottles while still warm, then leave them to cool and store them for a long time. Here's how to make it.
How to make Homemade Lemon Syrup
Wash the lemons well under running water and dry them with a cotton cloth. Squeeze them until you have 500 ml of juice. Grate the zest from three lemons.
Pour the juice into a small saucepan and add the sugar and lemon peel. Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes, stirring often, to avoid caramelizing the sugar. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer and let it boil for a few more minutes.
Sterilize the bottles and caps: you will need two 250 ml bottles or one 500 ml bottle. Pour the hot syrup into the bottles. Let it cool down to room temperature and close the bottle with the caps. Your homemade lemon syrup is ready to be served.
– To make lemon syrup use only organic lemons, so they are not treated with chemicals. Choose fragrant lemons, with thick peel and very juicy.
– If you prefer a lemon syrup with a less intense flavor, you can leave out the peel.
– If you want a thicker syrup, lengthen the cooking time a little.
– With lemon syrup you can make a refreshing drink in no time: pour a finger of syrup into a glass and add fresh water. You can also mix it with a little mint syrup, if you prefer.
– With lemon syrup you can also make fresh popsicles, which children will love, or a delicious granita to serve to your guests. You can also use the lemon syrup to moisten sponge cake or other fruit desserts, but also to give more flavor to your fruit salad.
How to store Homemade Lemon Syrup
You can store homemade lemon syrup for up to a year. Once opened, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.