- shredded cabbage mix 4 cups
- Red pepper 1
- For the dressing
- cilantro, chopped 1/2 cup
- red onion, chopped 1/2 cup
- Red wine vinegar 1/2 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup
- Freshly squeezed lime juice 2 tbsp
- Cumin 1 tbsp
- Sea salt 1/2 tsp
For tacos, burrito bowls, or as a savory, crunchy side for your picnic spread, there's nothing like Mexican coleslaw. This vegan-friendly coleslaw is full of fresh vibrant flavors thanks to cilantro and lime juice, plus some spicy red onion, tangy vinegar, and earthy cumin to round it out, and it's so much tastier than regular coleslaw. With its fresh ingredients, it's a healthy recipe you can whip up in no time flat. Mexican slaw is a perfect side dish for busy evenings or whenever you're making tacos, burritos, and other Mexican fare.
How to Make Mexican Coleslaw
Making a Mexican coleslaw is easier and quicker than you may think. Start by mixing cilantro, onion, vinegar, olive oil, lime juice and salt, then set it aside. Next, in another bowl, add sliced red pepper and cabbage, pour the dressing and mix. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Mexican Slaw
– Don't have any red wine vinegar? Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar are excellent alternatives.
– There are loads of variations of Mexican slaw you can try. Toss in some grilled corn, chopped jalapenos or other chili peppers (for people who like spice), avocado, or cojita cheese.
– Fresh cabbage tastes better, but for maximum convenience, you might prefer to use pre-shredded cabbage. Whichever route you go, make sure to use a mix of red and green cabbage to make the most flavorful coleslaw.
– You can make Mexican slaw ahead of time, however, if you assemble the entire thing, the cabbage may wilt. What you can do is prep the dressing ahead of time. It stays good for about 5 days. Cut the cabbage before you plan on serving the slaw, and assemble the coleslaw when you're ready to serve it.
What to Serve with Mexican Coleslaw
This delicious coleslaw is great with Mexican food, but there are many other ways you can serve it. Use Mexican slaw as a topping for burgers (regular, chicken, or even veggie), eat it instead of a salad, or add it to your favorite sandwiches.
How to Store Easy Mexican Slaw
Place leftover slaw in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 to 5 days. Just remember, Mexican coleslaw tastes best when enjoyed sooner rather than later.
Place the cilantro, onion, vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and salt in a container, and mix well. Set to the side.
Slice the red pepper, then place it in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the cabbage.
Pour the dressing over the cabbage and peppers, tossing to combine. Serve immediately.
If you don't want to use olive oil, you can swap it out for vegetable broth, however, you may need a little extra broth depending on how thick you want your dressing.